Sarajevo Open Centre as part of its program of work has been devoted to the advocacy of new public policies and the implementation of existing ones. Our work focuses on rights of LGBT person and women’s rights, but additionally we work on different human rights and general issues of importance to women and LGBT people.
As part of our advocacy work on the rights of LGBT persons in the period from 2015 to 2017 we will focus on:
- Monitoring the rights of LGBT persons in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Reporting on the rights of LGBT person, through Pink Report – Annual Report on the Rights of LGBT Persons, and the submissions and reports by domestic institutions and international bodies (ia EU Progress Report, the CEDAW, UPR);
- legal regulation of the hate crimes and hate speech, and comprehensive introduction of the judiciary and the police on the same;
- combating discrimination against LGBT people, through changes to existing policies and legislation, the adoption of new and their implementation;
- legislation and bylaw the access of the rights of trans* persons;
- legislation and bylaw the rights and obligations arising from the cohabitation of two people of the same sex (life partnership).
Measures to tackle prejudicial attitudes in the police as a way of combating hate crime
Written by Marija Lučić – Ćatić When it comes to effectively combating hate crimes or unlawful behaviors committed out of prejudice as a motive, there is much that needs to...
Measures to encourage reporting hate crimes/criminal offenses with prejudice as a motive
Written by Marija Lučić – Ćatić A great number of research points to the fact that victims of hate crimes rarely report these acts in comparison with victims of other...
Necessity of Raising Awareness and Understanding Hate Crimes Among Experts
Written by Marija Lučić – Ćatić Recognition, investigation and prosecution of hate crimes requires specific skills and knowledge of all participants in the chain of...
Hate Speech: Overture to Hate Crime
Hate speech expressed in comments is not uncommon in BiH’s online media, but editorial staff often does not find an adequate way to cope with this...
Coalition For the Fight Against Hate Speech and Hate Crimes Condemns the unworthy treatment of Refugees and Migrants
Coalition For the Fight Against Hate Speech and Hate Crimes Condemns the unworthy treatement of Refugees and Migrants in Bihać, requires the investigation and sanctioning of the...
Education of Future Police Officers is an Important Step in Fight Against Hate Crimes
Thanks to the cooperation of the Sarajevo Open Centre and the Police Academy of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the participants and students of this educational...