Sarajevo Open Centre as part of its program of work has been devoted to the advocacy of new public policies and the implementation of existing ones. Our work focuses on rights of LGBT person and women’s rights, but additionally we work on different human rights and general issues of importance to women and LGBT people.
As part of our advocacy work on the rights of LGBT persons in the period from 2015 to 2017 we will focus on:
- Monitoring the rights of LGBT persons in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Reporting on the rights of LGBT person, through Pink Report – Annual Report on the Rights of LGBT Persons, and the submissions and reports by domestic institutions and international bodies (ia EU Progress Report, the CEDAW, UPR);
- legal regulation of the hate crimes and hate speech, and comprehensive introduction of the judiciary and the police on the same;
- combating discrimination against LGBT people, through changes to existing policies and legislation, the adoption of new and their implementation;
- legislation and bylaw the access of the rights of trans* persons;
- legislation and bylaw the rights and obligations arising from the cohabitation of two people of the same sex (life partnership).
Coalition For the Fight Against Hate Speech and Hate Crimes Condemns the unworthy treatment of Refugees and Migrants
Coalition For the Fight Against Hate Speech and Hate Crimes Condemns the unworthy treatement of Refugees and Migrants in Bihać, requires the investigation and sanctioning of the...
Education of Future Police Officers is an Important Step in Fight Against Hate Crimes
Thanks to the cooperation of the Sarajevo Open Centre and the Police Academy of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the participants and students of this educational...
Training on reporting hate crimes for LGBTI people, Roma people and returnees
Sarajevo Open Centre is implementing a project “Protecting Affected Communities: Improving the implementation of hate crime regulation in Bosnia and Herzegovina “. The project...
Press Release From The Coalition For The Combating Hate Speech And Hate Crime: 2014 Attack on the Merlinka Festival in Sarajevo, 2019 Threats Towards Merlinka Festival in Tuzla
Posters, which call upon citizens of Tuzla to protest "against opening and holding of a disgusting and immoral Queer Fest" in front of the Atelier Ismet Mujezinović, were posted...
There are laws, but legal protection in practice is missing
The number of incidents potentially motivated by prejudice, that are reported to the police in Bosnia and Herzegovina, is at least 175. the reported incidents most often include...
Psychology and medicine students went through the training on rights and needs of trans persons, and medical aspects of gender reassignment
Sarajevo Open Centre (SOC), on 18 February 2019 in Sarajevo, held the training for psychology and medicine students named “Medical aspects of gender reassignment: On adequate,...