Sarajevo Open Centre as part of its program of work has been devoted to the advocacy of new public policies and the implementation of existing ones. Our work focuses on rights of LGBT person and women’s rights, but additionally we work on different human rights and general issues of importance to women and LGBT people.
As part of our advocacy work on the rights of LGBT persons in the period from 2015 to 2017 we will focus on:
- Monitoring the rights of LGBT persons in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Reporting on the rights of LGBT person, through Pink Report – Annual Report on the Rights of LGBT Persons, and the submissions and reports by domestic institutions and international bodies (ia EU Progress Report, the CEDAW, UPR);
- legal regulation of the hate crimes and hate speech, and comprehensive introduction of the judiciary and the police on the same;
- combating discrimination against LGBT people, through changes to existing policies and legislation, the adoption of new and their implementation;
- legislation and bylaw the access of the rights of trans* persons;
- legislation and bylaw the rights and obligations arising from the cohabitation of two people of the same sex (life partnership).
BH urologists and gynaecologists at the training on human rights and needs of trans persons in Bosnia and Herzegovina
This half-day training gathered around 10 medical experts from the public health institutions - clinical centres, hospitals and health care institutes from Sarajevo, Tuzla,...
Mama Majda: the most important thing is what your child will tell you and what you will tell them; what anyone else has to say is completely irrelevant
It’s hard to stay indifferent to mama Majda’s sincerity. She speaks in very simple language of her child’s outing, of transness, self-discovery, family...
International Transgender Day of Remembrance: the violence continues
November 20th marks the Transgender Day of Remembrance, commemorating transgender persons killed due to transphobia and hatred. This Rememberance Day was started by activist...
SOC training for urologists and gynecologists: adequate support for trans persons in the process of transition
Sarajevo Open Centre is organizing a training session on November 30th for urologists and gynecologists on the topic “Medical aspects of gender reassignment: providing adequate,...
Measures to tackle prejudicial attitudes in the police as a way of combating hate crime
Written by Marija Lučić – Ćatić When it comes to effectively combating hate crimes or unlawful behaviors committed out of prejudice as a motive, there is much that needs to...
Measures to encourage reporting hate crimes/criminal offenses with prejudice as a motive
Written by Marija Lučić – Ćatić A great number of research points to the fact that victims of hate crimes rarely report these acts in comparison with victims of other...