The Equality Academy programme aims to be a new platform for political leadership and space for joint actions of representatives, leaders of political parties and civil society organizations. Fourth generation of the Equality Academy is intended for:
- Town/Municipality councilors of the Counciles/Committees in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Heads of municipalities in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- City mayors in Bosnia and Herzegovina and
- Members of political parties in Bosnia and Herzegovina, who are interested in strengthening of individual capacities and working on identification and implementation of concrete solutions that will improve gender equality and position of unchartered groups in their local community and our society.
The first module of the Equality Academy 2018, entitled Gender Equality Policy, was held in Sarajevo from 18-20. May 2018. You can learn more about the first module of the Academy of Equality here. The second module of the Academy of Equality entitled Feminism for all was held in the period from 22-24. June 2018 at Jahorina. Each of the four modules of the fourth generation of the Equality Academy lasts for three days, and consists of lectures, workshops and discussions.
Following issues were discussed on the second module of the Equality Academy 2018:
– What is feminism and why it is important today?
– Human rights of LGBTI people
– Patriarchal models: women, mother queen
– How can feminist principles be translated into concrete public policies at the local level?
– The role of men in reaching true gender equality
Within the second module of the Academy of Equality, the first gender analysis session was held, out of three that will be held during this year as well as a live library where the participants had opportunity to talk with a lesbian, gay man, bisexual woman and transgender man.
The lecturers on this module were experts in gender equality and human rights from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Slovenia, and they are: Jasmina Čaušević, Master of Gender Studies and Program coordinator of the Sarajevo Open Center; Karolina Leaković, SDP Croatia; Sonja Lokar, Gender Equality expert from Slovenia, Vladana Vasić, Advocacy Manager, Sarajevo Open Centre , while the gender analysis workshop was led by Dženita Hrelja Hasečić.
Goals of the Equality Academy are strengthening the capacities of political leaders in gender equality area and equality policies of underprivileged groups in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in order to enhance rights of citizens in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as strengthening the cooperation between decision makers and representatives of civil society organizations in BiH.
The programme of the second module of the Equality Academy is here.