Sarajevo Open Centre as part of its program of work has been devoted to the advocacy of new public policies and the implementation of existing ones. Our work focuses on rights of LGBT person and women’s rights, but additionally we work on different human rights and general issues of importance to women and LGBT people.
As part of our advocacy work on the rights of LGBT persons in the period from 2015 to 2017 we will focus on:
- Monitoring the rights of LGBT persons in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Reporting on the rights of LGBT person, through Pink Report – Annual Report on the Rights of LGBT Persons, and the submissions and reports by domestic institutions and international bodies (ia EU Progress Report, the CEDAW, UPR);
- legal regulation of the hate crimes and hate speech, and comprehensive introduction of the judiciary and the police on the same;
- combating discrimination against LGBT people, through changes to existing policies and legislation, the adoption of new and their implementation;
- legislation and bylaw the access of the rights of trans* persons;
- legislation and bylaw the rights and obligations arising from the cohabitation of two people of the same sex (life partnership).
Hate crimes in 2016: There is still low level of LGBTI persons’ trust in the institutions
On 16 November 2017, the International Tolerance Day, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), on its website that serves for reporting on hate crime,...
SOC filed a submission to the UN Committee Against Torture about hate crimes against LGBTI persons and activists in Bosnia and Herzegovina
UN Committee Against Torture (CAT) is currently doing review of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s fullfilment of obligations that derive from the Convention against Torture and Other...
32 Prosecutors and Expert Assistants of Prosecutor’s Office in Canton Sarajevo For The First Time Ever Attended a Training on Human Rights of LGBTI Persons
At the end of two-day training, a chief prosecutor of Canton Sarajevo emphasized that the training greatly contributed to the senzibilization of persecutors on problems that LGBTI...
BiH Ombudsmen for Human Rights confirmed: personal name does not have to be harmonized with the sex marker in the identification documents of the person
In August 2017 the Ministry of Interior in Tuzla (MoI) disabled the name change of the person to a name that is not harmonized with the sex marker on the identification document,...
Pink report 2017: Seeking Asylum
In the fallowing period we will publish articles from our Annual Report on the State of Human Rights of LGBTI People in Bosnia and Herzegovina Legal Framework In the beginning...
Today is Intersex Awareness Day
On this day, 26th of October in 1996 in front of the place where annual conference of Academy of Pediatrics in America was held, the first public protest of intersex persons took...